We all know that the hackers in the World going viral day-by-day.It is very easy to them to hack any thing.So it is very important to keep our accounts secured.So, for our blogger’s it is necessary to keep our admin page more secure.We can do so by keeping HTTP Authentication for the wp-admin page.HTTP Authentication is yet another layer to authenticate for the protection to your login page.In this way your admin page will remain safe from hackers.
How to keep HTTP Authentication for Wp-Admin Login Page:
cPanel Users (Default Method)
For All Users(Manual Method)
cPanel Users :
- At first Login to your cpanel page
- You will see many option listed, Click on the Directory Privacy to keep wp-admin directory to be protected.
- Open the Directory Privacy and for the Domain you want to Protect and Select the Web-root Access and Click on GO. If you have multiple Domains Select the Domain which you want to protect.
- You will see a list of directories for the Domain you have selected. Now open the WP-Admin Directory.
- Now Tick on the “Password protect this directory“, and in our case we named it as ADMINS ONLY for that Directory.
Note: It is not your Username.
- Now you Should have to Create User, Give a Username and Password for to Authenticate.We Recommend you not to keep the same Username and password that belongs to WordPress.
Manual Method to keep HTTP Authentication:
Create a .htpasswds File using this Generator and Upload it to outside of the /public_html/.
so that the file be in this position
Also create a file named .htaccess with the following codes contained in it and upload it in the WP-Admin Directory.
Update the details in the codes where it contains Authuserfile and USERNAMEGOESHERE.
Facing a Redirect Error?
It is due to your server configuration. you can fix the redirect issue by adding the below code to your .htaccess file on the 1st line.Make Sure that you ticked on your SHOW HIDDEN FILES. Before opening the Directory.
If you are facing any problems , feel free to ask us in the comments section. We will help our best.